What Are the Dangers of Mold in a Basement?

Water in your basement can cause a whole host of issues, but by far the most troublesome can be the health issues associated with the growth of mold. Mold thrives in a damp, dark environment such as a wet basement, and it can cause a variety of health issues, some of which can be very serious. If you think you have mold growing in your basement, it’s important that you call in a professional to waterproof and remove the mold. In the meantime, it’s a good idea to educate yourself on the potential risks associated with having mold in your basement.

Respiratory ailments

Long-term exposure to mold can lead to a variety of upper respiratory infections, with symptoms such as coughing, wheezing and asthma. What may appear to be chronic cold-like symptoms could actually be your body’s reaction to the presence of mold. Because mold spores can become airborne, breathing in those spores can cause respiratory issues.

Fungal infections

Mold spores can also be absorbed through the skin, causing a variety of fungal infections. Certain people, such as those who are recovering from cancer treatments and those with artificial joints are particularly susceptible to these infections, but it is possible for anyone who comes in contact with mold spores to contract a fungal infection.

Cold-like symptoms

Mold spores can also cause symptoms that simulate the symptoms of a cold or flu. These could include nasal congestion, irritated eyes, hives or skin rashes, and even shortness of breath. If you have experienced chronic episodes of these symptoms, mold may be to blame. Note that the very young and the elderly are more susceptible to these symptoms from mold, and that the results can be more serious.

Pulmonary hemosiderosis

This can be a very serious side effect of coming in contact with particular types of mold, especially black mold. Prolonged exposure to black mold can cause a rare lung disease known as pulmonary hemosiderosis, or bleeding in the lungs. The bleeding in the lungs is caused by the buildup of iron in the blood, which can also cause kidney damage, and other serious side effects.

If you notice a musty smell in your basement, or if you or your family members have been chronically ill lately, the presence of mold may be to blame. If your basement is wet or damp, there is a good chance that mold is either already present or that it soon will be, as dark and damp environments are the ideal conditions for the growth of mold. To prevent the presence of mold from causing health issues for you and your family, it’s important to call in an expert such as www.affordablewaterproofingllc.com. They can assess why your basement is getting damp and/or wet and take the necessary steps to both remove the mold and prevent water from getting into the basement in the future. That will help to keep your family healthy and reduce the risk of illnesses associated with coming in contact with mold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *